The Introduction to Scala Learning Spike training course is designed to familiarize students with the benefits of Scala. This course will introduce attendees to the fundamental language constructs and provide a starting point for using Scala for application development. Attendees will learn to write basic programs in Scala.
- Understand the fundamental constructs in Scala
- Writing basic programs in Scala
- Where to go next
What You'll Learn
In the Introduction to Scala Learning Spike training course you’ll learn:
- What is Scala?
- What are the positives of Scala?
- What are the negatives of Scala?
- Creating a script in Scala
- Creating an application in Scala
- Using the REPL
- Worksheets IDEA and Eclipse
- Scala Basics
- `val` and `var`
- Bending Variables and Values to your Will!
- Byte, Short, Int, Long, Float, Boolean, and Double, Char
- if, else if, else, while, do while, for “loops”
- String formatting and interpolation
- Any, AnyVal, AnyRef
- Scala Methods
- Basic Methods
- About `Unit` and Conventions
- Recursion (Factorial Example) Skip
- Bending Methods Names to Your Will Skip
- Scala Classes
- Case Classes
- The magic `apply` method
- RightAssociative Colons
- Scala `Option`
- Scala `Object`
- Companion Objects
- Scala Tuples * Basic Collections
- Higher Order Functions
- Creating a function
- What is actually a function?
- Using functions with collections
- Collections with Functions
- The Importance of a Language with a Clean API
Meet Your Instructor
Julian first touched fingers to keypunch in 1972, punching Fortran code onto cards at Imperial College in London (England, that is) and soon moved onto Macro-11 programming on PDP-11s. This qualifies him as a Real Programmer, and until recently, he even had a PDP-11 in his garage at home to remind him of better times.
He learnt Fortran while becoming a geologist at Imperial College, but he has never practised in the rock business, as he succumbed to the...