The Working With Chef training course explores Cookbook development for Chef.
The Working With Chef course begins with a quick review of both Ruby and Chef concepts. It then transitions into an examination of building Chef Cookbooks, beginning simply, then moving into more complex concepts and examples.
The Writing Chef Cookbooks training course concludes with an examination and review of client-specific and client-created Cookbooks.
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to:
- Describe the advantages of using Cookbooks with Chef
- Write a simple Cookbook
- Create a Cookbook to manage a Hadoop cluster
- Identify processes / procedures during the build / deploy process that are good Cookbook candidates
- Apply common best practices to Cookbook development
What You'll Learn
In the Working With Chef training course, you’ll learn:
- Ruby Primer (enough to understand reading Chef code)
- Basic Syntax
- Data structures used in Chef
- Chef Refresher
- What Chef provides
- Local Chef Cookbook Development
- Running chef
- Chef Server/Client
- Chef Solo
- Building a Basic Cookbook
- Parts of a Cookbook
- Templates / Files
- Example: NTP
- Example: Resolv
- Building a more Complicated Cookbook
- Chef node customization
- Data Bags (Encrypted+)
- Using other Chef resources
- Using multiple cookbooks together
- Dependency management
- Cookbook Metadata
- Cookbook Patterns and Practices
- Application vs Library Cookbooks
- Resources best practices
- Using Chef to manage a Hadoop cluster
- Building Custom Resources
- Libraries / Definitions
- LightWeight Resource Providers
- Review of MCOM Cookbooks
Meet Your Instructor
Elon has over 20 years of technical training experience and strongly believes that developers learn best by doing. He has trained in 40+ countries, and counting.
Elon is extremely passionate about sharing his in-depth knowledge in the DevOps world and beyond. His teaching style is engaging, fun and collaborative, while he continuously strives to learn more and expand his knowledge in the technology field. He holds a BA in Economics from CU Boulder.
Elon lives in the beautiful Boulder mountains...