The Introduction to TSQL training course will concentrate on the TSQL SELECT statement: its syntax, usage, and performance tuning. It will take the attendee from a basic level of understanding to being able to write, understand, and performance tune complex queries. Classroom sessions will be about one-fourth lecture and three-fourths demos. All PowerPoint files and TSQL demo scripts will be available to the attendee.
The course material is derived from Itzik Ben-Gan’s book: T-SQL FUNDAMENTALS THIRD EDITION (about $40 from Amazon). Although not required, the attendee is advised to purchase and read the book prior to taking the course.
While the course will primarily concentrate on the SELECT statement, the data modification statements (UPDATE, DELETE, INSERT) will also be covered. The course will not cover or touch on SQL Agent, SSIS, SSAS, or Report Services.
- Completely understand TSQL SELECT statement syntax and usage
- Able to analyze and script all table joins (inner and outer)
- Understand and implement subqueries (correlated and non-correlated)
- Able to analyze, script, and understand TSQL performance tuning
What You'll Learn
In the Introduction to TSQL training course you’ll learn:
- Database fundamentals, introduction to Management Studio
- SELECT syntax, processing order, Single Table Queries
- TOP filter, predicates, operators, functions
- JOINs (Cross joins, ANSI-92 syntax, inner joins, outer joins)
- Indexes (Clustered, Nonclustered, Unique, Composite, Covering)
- Subqueries, table expressions, view performance
- SET Operators, Windows functions, pivoting data, grouping sets
- Data modification (Insert, Update, Delete)
- Temporal tables
- In-memory tables
- Complete review of SELECT statement
- Transactions and concurrency
- Variables, Batches, temporary table, stored procedures, functions, error handling
- Performance tools, sample performance tuning (demos)